Thursday, January 26, 2012

OK...IT'S TIME TO EXPLAIN THE RULES

I am sick and tired of commenters coming here who are too infantile to control their language.

On your blog (if you're intelligent enough to have one) you can say whatever you please...I don't care.

But here there is no freedom of speech.

The First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law..."

Well, I am not congress and I CAN make the law here.

You don't curse, swear or be vile in my house and you don't curse, swear or be vile on my blog.

If you can't read the side bar, I will reproduce it for you here.  If you went to government school, you probably can't read this, but give it a try.

1. Absolutely no foul language. If you are not man or woman enough to control your language, you are not welcome here...go somewhere else.


2. I am not looking for strings of commenters arguing with each other, so confine your comments to the topic at hand and address your comments to me, unless you can be exceptionally gracious and polite.


3. Since this is my blog, I am the sole arbiter of what can be placed on this blog. My decisions are final and without recourse. All anonymous comments, unsigned, will be deleted, as will ad homonym attacks against me or others.


4. Within the scope of those rules, you may feel free to have fun here (I sure will). Sarcasm, wit, half-wit, nit-wit, parody, satire, puns (especially puns), etc. are encouraged.

I will not allow hyphenated, asterisked or other forms of vile language. If you use them, expect to be deleted (your comment, not you, personally...although that might be arranged).

You may disagree with me, with my faith and my opinions, and you may express your disagreement in a dignified, polite way.

You may not disparage those who have faith in God, nor can you disparage those who don't.

If you have nothing to say about the topic at hand, just don't say anything at all.

You see, this is my blog and its purpose is to give you my slightly quirky humble, but correct opinion, and you can give me yours, as long as you're man or woman enough to be civil and control your language.

Any questions?

Oh...and ABO!

18 comments:

sue hanes said...

Joe - I support you 100% on this.

Ducky's here said...

Question: Why not disallow anonymous postings?

Frankly Joe, your total aversion to profanity (whatever that is) seems over the top but as you say, it's your blog.

Still, the volume of profanity here is pretty low.

Joe said...

Ducky: "Frankly Joe, your total aversion to profanity (whatever that is) seems over the top..."

Says who?

Explain to me its use in civil disourse.

Xavier Onassis said...

Joe - I believe that a precisely chosen and surgically placed expletive can emphasize a point like no other technique known to man.

I believe that professionally applied profanity is such a persuasive tactic that it is only your BAN on my using my native tongue that has kept me from bringing you out of the darkness of conservatism and into the light and sound reasoning that is Progressiveness.

Why, if you would simply unshackle my well-honed communication skills I'd have every commentor on this blog singing Woody Guthrie songs before they knew what hit them!

Ducky's here said...

I love Woody.

Joe said...

XO: "I believe that a precisely chosen and surgically placed expletive can emphasize a point like no other technique known to man."

You believe wrongly.

Joe said...

XO: For example: "You are a liberal." "You are a _ _ liberal."

You're still a liberal and the extra words added nothing.

sue hanes said...

Joe - May I say at this point that I Believe that Swearing(Vulgarities for you) - is an Important Stress Reliever and besides I like to Swear(well I am a Liberal.)

: ]

But I am Learning who I can Swear around and who I can't - and Who I don't care if I offend.

Xavier Onassis said...

Joe - "For example: "You are a liberal." "You are a _ _ liberal."

You're still a liberal and the extra words added nothing."

You are incorrect, sir.

The first sentence is a mere statement of fact.

The second sentence not only states the fact, but with the addition of just 1 carefully chosen word, it tells the reader how you feel about that fact, how you feel about me, and how you feel about liberals in general.

That's A LOT of extra information conveyed in a single word.

Think of it as a more effecient form of communication.

Joe said...

XO: So, if I say what I was really thinking: "You are a big fat liberal," you are not as certain of what I meant as you would be if I used whatever the one word you were thinking?

Besides, words have meaning, and it is uncivil to use words that treat human activites and body functions as though they were vulgar (in the real meaning of the word...if you know it).

Not to mention that if made common they leave one no place to go linguistically.

If you describe someone you don't like as a participant in imoral activity with his/her female parent, then what would you call someone you REALLY don't like? The same thing?

Hardly expressive and really quite ignorant.

What you have really done is to succumb to the lowest common denominator of human existance.

Vulgarity is to language as Maury Povich is to Masterpiece Theater.

Maybe that's what you like...yes?

Xavier Onassis said...

Joe - You are linguistically naive and inexperienced.

Profanities are valid English language qualifiers that magnify the emphasis of your adjetive or adverb.

You simply lack the skill and experience to use them effectively.

Lyndon Baines Johnson was possibly the most persuasive president in American history.

He verbally brow-beated Representatives and Senators of both parties to get done what he wanted to get done and he did so in language that would make a drunk sailor blush.

He used profanity like a surgeon uses a scalpel and he got "stuff" done.

You and your ilk have spent 50 years trying to undo what he did in 4 years.

Lone Ranger said...

Profanity is ignorance made audible.

Xavier Onassis said...

Joe - BTW, a friend of mine told me that the picture of the hipster dude with the duct tape over his mouth you used in your headline is a actually copyrighted image from a gay bondage sight.

Much like the accusations hurled at President Obama by Conservatives, I can't prove that it is true. I'm just passing on what I have heard.

You should google it.

Xavier Onassis said...

Lone Ranger - But your blog is "intelligence made visible" - http://stuffmycatputsinherbowl.blogspot.com/

Joe said...

XO: I DID Google it. In fact, I got it from Google and there was no mention of any copyright.

However, even if there had been, once something is deliberately posted on the internet, it joins the public domain and can be used under the Fair Use doctrine.

FAIR USE: This blog may contain copyrighted material. Such material is made available for educational purposes, to advance understanding of human rights, democracy, scientific, moral, ethical, and social justice issues, etc. This constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Anonymous said...

"....Explain to me its (profanity) use in civil disourse......"

I imagine that if ever there was an instance where the phrase "WTF" could be acceptably used in polite social discourse it would be by the Mayor of Hiroshima, Japan as he looked out his office window at 08:16 hours(Hiroshima Time), 6 August, 1945.

"WTF was that?"

Z said...

Good for you, Joe..it's your blog.
I swear in life from time to time, less and less lately...but to write it is a whole other level, especially on someone else's blog. WHY?

Sad when people don't even know what profanity is, isn't it.
Well, they don't know what morality is, either. and, of course, we're also asked "who's to say what moral is?"
In the past, nobody had to ask.

Joe said...

Z: If anybody who doesn't know what's moral wants to know, they can aske me...I'll help them understand.