Monday, January 16, 2017

Dr. Martin Luther King and John Lewis

It was 1964, in St. Augustine, Florida when Dr. Martin Luther King came to town. I was there.

Dr. King had always been one of my heroes, so when I heard he was coming, I decided to join him in his cause.

It was not a safe thing to do, as racist feelings ran deep in St. Augustine. I was accosted by some local vermin as I sat at the lunch counter during a "sit-down" rally, to show my support for them.

Later, I was approached by three toughs who threatened to "...take me out back and cover me with black shoe polish." Fortunately a sheriff's deputy drove up at just the right moment to encourage them to leave me alone.

Later that day, I joined Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s march through St. Augustine. I was way back in the back of the group, but I didn't care. I was part of what I thought was a just cause.

I never met Dr. King, nor did I always agree with him, but I always respected him and held him in high esteem.

Enter Congressman John Lewis.

Back in the march on Selma, Alabama, John Lewis was attacked and beaten by police. He was a staunch ally of Dr. King and seemed to be a real spokesperson for the ideals Dr. King held to.

In ensuing years, Lewis has usually approached civil rights calmly and with at least a semblance of reason and determination. Although we are on different sides of the political fence, I have always thought him to be one who represented the ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have changed my mind about Congressman Lewis, something about which I doubt that he cares in the least.

His recent decision to call President-Elect Donald trumps looming presidency "illegitimate" is just absolute sophistry.  It is born, not of reason, but of reverse racism and self-pity because his side lost the election.

President-Elect Donald trump will be a legitimate president. He was elected in accordance with the Constitution of the United States of America. You might not agree with him. You might not like him. You might wish he would go away. That's how I felt about President BO (the amateur president). But in the end, Donald Trump will be the president.

I remember liberals wailing about how we conservatives needed to get over it. President BO (the amateur president) was our president and we should accept it. That's what they said...some of them right here on this blog.

So I say to you liberals, "Donald Trump will be our president. Accept it and let's move on to what we need to do to heal our land."

But what I say won't matter a whit. Liberals are who they are, and they are spoiled, temper-laden, hate-filled brats.

So is Congressman John Lewis.

Today, my hero, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is rolling over in his grave because of the likes of John Lewis and his cohorts.

I'm sorry, Dr. King. They just never were smart enough to really understand what you were all about.

No comments: